Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Horus temple

The cruise stopped today in Edfu so that we could visit Horus temple tour group style. I was never told to meet the tour guide at 9am so I was in the buffet eating until 9:10. When I came upstairs the guide was waiting for me. Somehow everybody else knew to be there at 9am. How did they know? I don't know, but that's the way things work here. Sometimes they tell you, sometimes they don't. I wasn't surprised.

The tour guide turned out to be pretty incomprehensible in English, and he had to speak in arabic half the time to a part of the group. Then there were like a 1000 tourists wandering around the temple with us because all the cruise boats get off at the same time. So the whole experience was pretty bad. I didn't even tip the tour guide and didn't even feel bad. That's how you can tell he sucked, because I don't even feel guilty. I always feel guilty, so this is a good way to judge.

I took a couple pictures, had some laughs with the other tourists who couldn't understand either, and just did a big tour with my eyes. I soaked in some sun too. The sunlight is super hot in this country.

I'm starting to recognize the pictures of each of the main Egyptian gods, and I recognize symbols for life and eternity and ovals where kings names are written, so I'm learning something out of all this.

Horus was the god of the Pharaohs. Why is this temple called Horus temple? I don't know. I missed that part of the tour.

2 Comments:

Blogger just a girl.. said...

http://www.touregypt.net/edfut.htm
It seems it was built on the reputed site of a battle between Horus and Seth. I was an Egypt nut when I was a kid.. I'm so jealous! :)

December 16, 2008 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

wow thanks for the answer!

February 11, 2009 at 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home