Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Moostrax.com

This is a webpage that provides a free service currently. It used to be called blackberrytracker.com before it was renamed.

What it does is allow my blackberry to constantly update the website with my phone's location at an interval rate that I specify so that someone who is wanting to know where my phone is/was at a given time can look it up and find out. The map backbone for this service is google maps.

Ever since it changed over to moostrax.com (I'm going to assume they did it to gain more support), they've had an uptime or Mean time between failures (mtbf) equivalent to an 250kg person standing up, aka almost never.

I'm not sure why they need to keep it down for so long to improve their services. It's almost like they don't have enough money for the bandwidth or they don't know how to set up a server that doesn't crash repeatedly.

I signed up for this just in case I go missing or something, my parents can find out where my phone is. Whether I'll be with my phone or not is a different story. Do you want the login information so that you can see where I am at all times? You can't have it, stalker.

4 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

maybe the MTBF was not properly allocated from the ORD..hahahaha, really what is your login info?

January 8, 2009 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Jim,

The downtime was terrible, I agree. In fact, I'm responsible for it :(. It was a product of a new database system that I loved...but also hated. Sorry for the inconvenience...and you can read more here:

http://chrismoos.com/2009/01/20/hasta-la-vista-moostrax/

Chris

January 20, 2009 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

hahahaha loved your comment benç

chris, thanks for letting me use the program while it lasted. thanks for the update as well.

February 11, 2009 at 5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh I spoke too soon. It is back again...and also now on Android(google g1). Try it out if you like.

February 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home