Thursday, July 3, 2008

Blue Mountains

I made a day trip visit to the Blue Mountains about 2 hours west of Sydney today with an OZ Experience bus. OZ Experience here is about the same kind of thing as the Magicbus was in NZ.

There's a good chance I will use OZ Experience in the future to get from Cairns to Brisbane. I'll have to decide later to use them or to use Greyhound.

The Blue Mountains are given that name because there's a ton of eucalyptus trees that grow there, and those leaves absorb the entire spectrum of white light except for blue because it has the highest wavelength, and therefore it reflects blue haze back.

The eucalyptus tree is the leaf that only Koalas eat, and because it has so little energy (nutrition) in it, the Koala sleeps for 20 hours a day.

I have some pictures but like I said in the post below, I can't share them yet.

I did get to ride the steepest train in the world today. It's in the Guinness Book of World Records. It literally felt like going up the beginning of a roller coaster at like 5x the normal speed. It was quick and very steep.

Oh yeah, I also learned that female kangaroos can flip off their ability to give birth on and off like a switch. They basically have a built in birth control method. And they can send out different types of breast milk in each of their teats depending on how old the joey is that is using that nipple. Wow?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OZ is a initial of Asiana Airlines.

July 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home