Monday, December 1, 2008

Censorship or terrible networking?

While I've been in China I've found that some webpages just don't load about half the time. Websites I try to regularly check when I have access to a computer are yahoo, blogspot, facebook, cnn, bbc, wellsfargo, capitalone, and google.

Half of these websites won't load at any given hour or any day. Then the next time I try, some others will work and others will not. It's totally haphazard. I will be in serious shock the day they all work at the same time. I don't think this is because of censorship though, probably just serious technical issues within the country.

These following examples *are* due to censorship though, i'm pretty sure.

I tried to load a flickr picture site the other day using my phone's browser and some of the photos of Tibet wouldn't pop up. Flickr says the album has 38 pictures, but only 2 of them show on the screen. How freaky is that? This is my *phone* browser, not a computer!

I tried to download blackberry desktop software earlier to update something on my phone and RIM's site told me the software was not allowed to be downloaded in China and rejected my download.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shanks said...

This is why geeks refer to it as the Great Firewall of China.

December 1, 2008 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Your comment made me smile.

December 6, 2008 at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home