Monday, December 8, 2008

Macau

While Hong Kong feels like Chinatown in San Francisco, Macau feels like little Portugal in mainland China.

The difference being that Macau is really small and the Portuguese influence seems minimal, at least today while I've been walking around. The English in Hong Kong is prominent, and there's quite a few more obvious foreigners there.

Very little English is spoken here but I also hear little Portuguese as well. It might be a result based on my untrained ear or because English is just so much more prevalent in the world anyway.

I've been walking around the old town area where I've been staying and looking at the buildings and sights of European influence. I've not seen anything that's really wow'd me yet.

The Ruins of St. Pauls is just the front facade wall standing up with everything having been destroyed. It looks pretty with the open windows of skylight and city behind it.

I do see some people of spanish or portuguese color but most people look very Chinese and speak Cantonese or Mandarin. I can't figure out which is which too easily.

I walked the width of the island in about 1.5 hours walking at a medium pace, so you can conclude from that how big the island is. The other island is a little bigger and I'll check out that area tomorrow when I take a bus there over the bridge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home