Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Açai

So there's this berry here that grows on a palm tree. It looks a lot like a blackberry or a blueberry. It's called Açai and the Brazilians keep telling it's all the rage right now in other parts of the world because it's considered some kind of superfood or something. I remembering hearing something about Oprah.

I don't remember if I ever heard of it when I was in the states but apparently it only grows here in the Amazon and so all over Brazil you can get ice drinks made with Açai for like $2 when it's probably $10 for the same thing in the states, if you can even find such a thing.

It's one of those "secret" homeopathic health foods that the native indians eat to prevent disease and maintain good health that the first has now discovered and is going crazy for it. Again, I don't know if this is for sure. It's just what the Brazilians tell me.

A quick search for it's benefits mentions high omega fats, and so I've been trying to get as much of it as I can while I'm here in the hotspot, hoping that maybe it would be good for my skin. Who knows if it is, but I might as well try eating it. It probably isn't making it any worse. *crosses fingers*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home