Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I found (at least) one

It's sad that I don't trust Brazilians (in general), but Salvador has ruined me because it was the first impression and I've found it difficult to change, even after being in Brasilia and Manaus with wonderful people.

There are honest people in this country though. I found some last night.

I was eating dinner in the public square where the teatro amazonas is located with 2 people from my jungle trip. I went up to the counter of the burger joint to pay our bill.

Then we walked outside to go back to the hostel to get our malaria pills. We had all forgotten our pills and you have to take one every day until 2-4 weeks after you have left the infected zone.

So we got our pills and I put on my leg extensions because we were supposedly going to try heading into the free opera show on sunday nights at the teatro. (This is the coolest thing by the way. Ever heard of a free opera show at the most famous opera house in the country before?)

We were walking back to the square when I noticed I didn't have my phone on me. Part of me went "oh shit" and another part of me went "I probably left it in the room while changing". I was leaning on the latter so I shrugged it off and kept going.

We tried the opera house. We were too late to go in, so we headed back to the hostel to possibly watch a movie or something. On the way back we passed the burger place and the waitress motioned to me about something with her hands. Then I looked at her and she was making a gesture with her hand that signified a telephone. My eyes popped and I said, "telefono!" She headed inside. I followed her and inside the cash register man was holding my phone in his hand showing it to me.

I was SO grateful that I got it back. They could have EASILY kept it and sold it. I would have been really unhappy about losing it. I went back and gave them reward money later. Not a lot, but something because they made my day..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home