Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Kung Fu time!

I was at a restaurant today called Crepes & Waffles that I found in the neighborhood mall. (I'm in one of the nicest parts of Medellin right now by the way)

I walked up to the counter to look at the ice cream menu, because you know, I *must* have my ice cream. I stared at the delicious looking pictures on the back wall for about 10 seconds until one of the ladies working behind the counter greeted me. I said hello and asked for a small ice cream sundae looking thing that has whipped cream on it. I forgot what it was called but it was like 2 scoops of vanilla and a scoop of chocolate with a chocolate cookie stuck inside.

She says "ok!" and starts making my order. There are 2 other ladies standing there next to me and I hear one say to the other "he is Jackie Chan" in Spanish. As you can imagine my eyes enlarged at the surprise. I looked at them and said, "I'm not Jackie Chan" and smiled. They immediately reacted to that with looks of embarrassment. I laughed.

One of the ladies asked me if I understood Spanish. I said I understood a very small amount. She said she was sorry and told me she wasn't messing around to make fun of me, she really thinks I look like him. So that made me wonder, does that make it better or worse?

I don't really care about it. I thought it was humorous. I'm wearing a tank top today because it's humid here in town (with mosquitoes and everything) and maybe she thought I looked buff. I have this lucky habit of looking buff even though I'm a complete piece of flabby fat because I've now not worked out for almost a year. Or maybe they meant that I look old? GRRRR

I totally understand what they're talking about. You should see how many times I mistake one black person for another or in Bolivia I thought a random woman on the street looked like a travel agent I talked to about 2 hours before and nearly made a fool out of myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home