Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lovely town, really

Remember when I told you about my last few days in Bangkok and how they were pretty tough on me?

There was about a 15 minute period during that time when I was walking by myself on one of the streets, and I had just gotten an ice cream from 7 eleven. Katja had left me to take a motorcycle up to her friend's house and come back down, so I had decided to walk in the general direction and hopefully meet up with her when she was done and coming back down.

I finished the ice cream. It was one of those wrapped up cones that have specific toppings on them. This one was probably pralines & almonds, because I really started to enjoy that flavor in Thailand (all the stores have about the same limited selection).

I looked for a trash can for about 200 meters while I was walking and couldn't find any. Thailand doesn't really have publicly managed trash cans like we do in the states. You just sort of have to get lucky with the occasional "is this bag (or box, or bowl) really supposed to be trash or did people just throw everything in here anyway?"

After the 60 seconds, I felt annoyed and thought about throwing the wrapper into the bed of a truck that was nearby. There was already trash in the truck but I was shocked my discovery of my personal unhappiness. To think that I would actually throw paper trash into somebody's vehicle because I was that annoyed? I can't remember the last time I was willing to do something like that.

I didn't throw my trash in there, I found a trash can soon after at yet another 7 eleven, but I was still surprised that I had gotten that close to purposefully littering. It was just a culmination of how I was feeling while I was in Bangkok. The city just drags and wears you down. It's dirty and uncomfortable, at least for me it was from the humidity and heat. Other people might feel more comfortable there though.

I remember that street: ugly cars were everywhere, parked which way and that, nasty looking water puddles on the side of the street, cars go by and splash water on your lower legs (that's if they don't hit you first), nobody speaks english, there are vendors prepared to rip you off, the smell in some parts would make your nose fall off if you stayed there long enough.

6 Comments:

Blogger vovo said...

.."nobody speaks english..."

way to state the obvious. you were in thailand...lol.

anyhow, makes you appreciate industrial comforts, no? (& thank you for refraining from throwing your trash into the bed of someone else's truck.)

September 9, 2008 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

I knew you were going to say that. When I get back I'm going to throw 100 banana peels out the window!

September 10, 2008 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger vovo said...

at least the banana peels are organic.

September 10, 2008 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger momo said...

i noticed that there seem to be more people in thailand that speak japanese than english especially in certain spots.
this is why you should always take a momo on your international adventures.

September 10, 2008 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger ben said...

That's how 3rd countries are like Jim. Wait until you visit maintland China, Egypt, Vietnam (if you are going).

September 11, 2008 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

I never met anyone in Thailand that spoke Japanese, but it might have been because I told them I was from the USA. Not exactly sure there.

October 4, 2008 at 5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home