Monday, September 8, 2008

My first friend in Thailand.... almost

I met a group of local people while I was in Koh Phangan that included a Thai woman named Sayjai. She has a son from a Thai man that she's not with anymore because he passed away several years ago.

I thought it was cool that she was so friendly and willing to talk to me even though I can't speak a word of Thai. One of the guys that was in the group is her boyfriend of several years so everything felt very comfortable. There was no possible way she could be looking for anything more than friends when she meets new people. Or so I thought...

Right when I first met them, she told her the guy she's with was her best friend. He told me she was his wife. I obviously noticed the difference but I shrugged it off to them joking with me. It didn't really matter to me anyway, I have no interest in either of them.

The next morning I went to her restaurant to try some of her authentic Thai cooking, which was really good of course. After the end of the meal, while her "boyfriend" was out doing something, she gave me her phone number on a piece of paper and told me to call her sometime. She said she didn't have an email address yet so a phone call would have to do. I was surprised at her proposal but I assumed that she wanted a penpal, so I said sure. But then she told me a story of how she had gone to a gypsy fortune teller and this fortune teller had told her that a Korean or Japanese man would come into her life and change it forever.

I was obviously a bit shocked so I asked her what about her "boyfriend"? She told me that she likes him for now but has told him she doesn't want to get married, so she's looking for somebody else even though he's madly in love with her. She mentioned that she would like to come visit me in LA sometime when I'm back. I didn't know what to say so I said, "uhhhhhhhhhhhh......... ok" and then we took a picture and I left. heh

It bummed me out a bit because I thought I was going to be making an actual Thai friend in Thailand. She really was cool but I guess I know why now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home