Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Homeless parking attendants

In Brasilia, there was this thing that was funny to see but I couldn't really understand either. A very strange phenomenon, if I may quote Daniella. She even thinks it's strange.

In every parking area (street or lot) that people have desire to park in, there are these "homeless" people walking around watching people park their cars. They pretend like they are "helping" but really, how much help do you need to park a honda civic size car in a parking space? They supposedly "watch" your car so that nothing happens to it either while it's parked, like some mafia is going to come and spray paint your vehicle if they don't watch it.

They're considered homeless, but they wear decent clothes like everyone else, which is also strange.

So what happens is, you park your car. This dude comes and says hello and if he gets there in time, tries to direct you into your spot (which you found without help of course) by using a couple hand motions.

You get out of your car and you go about your business.

After you're done (eating, shopping, whatever else), you come back to your car, you pull out of the spot. The guy is magically at your car with you. He again pretends to help you pull your car out. Then you open your window and you're expected to tip this guy and say thank you before you leave.

Does that make sense??? I chuckled whenever it happened but I still thought it was weird.

It's just like those guys in LA that run up to your car and start squeegee wiping your windshields without asking you if you want it and then expect you to tip them afterwards even though the whole time you were telling them to stop. Personally I hate these people partially because I am frugal, but also because they are probably damaging the windshield too. I'd almost pay them something if they just don't touch my car at all. I don't, but I can say that. Usually I just yell at them to get away.

In Brasilia's case, Daniella told me people pay because of the fear of them damaging your car the next time you come and park there if you don't tip them this time. She says they have excellent license plate memories. The whole process is some kind of poor man's extortion or something.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It is extortion, yes. I just use the old "I got nothing" excuse or just ignore the guy. Hate them as well.

March 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

You haven't seen anything yet... Tell me about it when you get to Rio....

March 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

fortunately or unfortunately i don~t know anyone in rio, so I won~t have the pleasure of meeting these people again :)

March 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home