Sunday, August 3, 2008

Preparing for Thailand

I met some roommates here in my Sydney hostel (Wake Up). The hostel is pretty darn nice, even though it feels like a hospital in that it's really large and clean and not real social. I found several cool roommates yesterday though and 2 of them have given me some tips on Thailand since I'm heading there this evening.

I'm sitting at another Global Gossip internet cafe near my hostel right now. This place is just terrible. The internet connection is terribly choppy. If I worked here I would be embarrassed. The nice thing about Global Gossips though, is that their computers are set up pretty well. They flash themselves between every user, so once I log off, it reimages the drive and nobody after me can see what I was doing or any personal information that I typed into this computer workstation. So security wise it's pretty good, but the internet connection speeds are pretty dodgy sometimes.

Since I have some free time this afternoon before my flight, I've been busily reading through the Thailand LonelyPlanet book that I have with me. I don't think I mentioned it before, but when I was in Cairns, I met a couple guys briefly in my hostel room that had just come from Thailand. I told them I was going there next and had literally a 2 minute chat with them before I left the room because I had to go to my diving class. Well I came back from my class that day and on my pillow was this book on Thailand that I totally didn't expect, and they had written a note for me:


Seriously, this was 2 guys that did this. Very nice people. I don't even know their names to be able to thank them. Because of their random gift to me, when I was in Magnetic Island I gave my New Zealand LonelyPlanet book to a girl that I had just met that said she was heading to New Zealand afterwards. She seemed pretty pleased about that. I felt good.

If you remember, I also bought the Lonelyplant Thai phrasebook while I was in Cairns. I need to read through that one a bit too. One of the issues that I see is that I don't know how to yet match between pronunciation and the way it's written on paper. So even though I'm reading Thai words on paper, I can't quite figure out how it's pronounced yet. I'm gonna need some help from somebody once I get into town I think to figure that part out. Maybe I'll meet some hot girl on the plane to Bangkok that will tour me around Thailand for 3 weeks. haha fat chance.

I decided on not booking a hostel for tonight. I'm going to get into Bangkok and figure out a way to get to Kho San Rd, which is kind of the center of Bangkok and look for a place to stay. I heard there's a lot of places there, and booking a place at this point is about the same as showing up at the door anyway. The roommates this morning recommended a place there that is right next to the hotel that Renee recommendcd to me, so out of those 2 I should be just fine.

I'm a little anxious to find out how I'm going to get into town. I've heard lots of stories of people getting ripped by fishy taxi drivers and stuff, so I can't wait to see what happens. Even if I get ripped off though, it's only gonna be like $1 so you guys don't need to worry about me losing everything, hehe.

Most of the hostels that I see on hostelworld seem to be around $12 a night. That will be a nice change. Lonelyplanet says I should be able to live comfortably with $30 a day. That sounds lovely to me after being in Australia.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience in one of our Global Gossip stores in Sydney. We strive to get the fastest possible connection at all of our sites and we are really sorry you had a bad experience this time.
If you could let me know which site this was I will look into the problems you had.
Again Sorry
David
Cairns Area Manager

August 7, 2008 at 12:53 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Hi David, I'm actually impressed that you found this part of my blog. hehe

It was the global gossip right next to Sydney Central YHA. I was sitting on one of the computers in an elevated area. (like a couple steps, maybe 1 or 2)

Thanks for asking.

August 8, 2008 at 10:55 PM  
Blogger suslee said...

i love stories of random acts of kindness; travelers seem to have it down.

December 4, 2008 at 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home