Tuesday, September 9, 2008

No habla espanol

One thing I noticed when I got on the Japan Airlines plane to Tokyo (on my way to Seoul) was that everyone on staff assumed I was Japanese kept talking to me in Japanese until I said something in English and told them I don't understand Japanese. Just because I look asian, they just assumed I knew Japanese.

This was not a problem. I *am* on a JAL flight and I *do* look like I could be Japanese.

However, I found it funny that when I didn't say anything at all, they would just repeat the exact same sentence over and over in Japanese as if I just didn't hear what they just said, even though the look on my face is an obvious "huh?" They just repeat it over and over, like 4 or 5 times. I was waiting for them to just automatically flip to English because it was obvious I couldn't understand, but they never did.

They must get a lot of Japanese customers that are hard of hearing.

3 Comments:

Blogger momo said...

Haha, yea but it is pretty hard to hear on airplanes. It's kinda loud and your ears get f'*cked up.

September 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

lol it actually happened a bunch of times while I was still in Narita airport and also before the plane took off. Since I'm in business class they ask me all kinds of stuff even before takeoff, like water and drinks and food menu.

September 10, 2008 at 6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I think,
Japanese people are weak in speaking foreign language, specially European, including English. I think it is because their native language, Kana, limited pronouciation and some of their body construction.
For example, they pronounce,
bucketful -bakkes
truck - doraku
etc.

So, Japanese envy people who speaks Europen languages.
And because of this, they have established a very good translation system in all field.

September 13, 2008 at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home