Saturday, October 4, 2008

I ate at McDonalds (oh the shame)

Before I head back to Tokyo I decided to visit one more location in the north where I don:t think a lot of foreigners make it to. I am in Sendai tonight, which is about 200km north of Tokyo.

Sendai itself is not a small city, but I:m currently in a hostel in a part of Sendai that doesn:t seem to have that many people in it (in general). After I checked in, I walked by a Japanese restaurant that looked like it would have good food, but the menu is completely in Japanese with no pictures and none of the staff understood any English, so I decided to give up on that one and ate at McDonalds. That wasn:t the only problem, the staff seemed super busy and didn:t seem really keen on helping someone who doesn:t speak Japanese out at the time.

Normally I wouldn:t eat at McDonalds, but today I:m tired from traveling around, and too tired to walk around to find the next plausible restaurant when I could hardly see anything. There are hardly any lights on in the district of Sendai that I:m in.

It took me 5 minutes just to order a spicy chicken sandwich combo at McDonalds, just because I couldn:t understand when they kept asking me if I wanted the value meal or just the burger. That was a long silent conversation of hand gestures, trust me.

I originally took the train from Tokyo this morning to Hachinohe on my way to Sapporo, but while I was going there, I had second thoughts about going all the way up there. It would have taken me 5 more hours by train but I have to be back in Tokyo by at least the 7th to catch my flight on the 8th, so I would only have 2 days to spend in Sapporo before 9 hours of travel back down to Tokyo. I was a little worried that Sapporo would just turn out to be another city and not be worth the 9 hours both ways, so I got back on the train I came from and headed back south. But this time I stopped halfway to Tokyo in Sendai.

The hostel I:m staying in has an 11pm curfew so I probably won:t be going out anymore tonight. I:m going to shower and stay in, relax on my own. Tomorrow I:m going to try to move to a hostel near the town center (it was full tonight or else I would have headed there instead) where hopefully I will meet some people and walk around town for a while.

The Japanese restaurant looked really neat. There were a *lot* of kids running around inside which made it seem like a fun family place. I wish I could have eaten there.

p.s. the fries tasted pretty good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home