Friday, October 3, 2008

Tough Trivia Question Ahead

Guess who:s in Tokyo? Yep, it:s me. I know that was a tough question, but I:m sure you could all handle it with only a little bit of thinking.

I spent a night up in Nozawa Onsen at a hotel called Lodge Matsuya. Onsen is the Japanese word for hot spring, and this town happens to be a big ski town that has 13 free onsen in it. I went to 3 different ones, and they:re not very different from eachother. They:re quite a bit different from hot springs in Korea. They happen to be just 1 room usually with a changing area and a big spa tub like thing in the middle with hot hot water flowing into it.

The water *was* really hot. I had to get in using a step process of dunking parts of my body one at a time slowly to get used to the temperature. Either that or the other way was to freeze myself really quick using the faucets on the side meant to rinse yourself off in, and then just walk in because then the water wasn:t too hot.

The water comes straight out of the ground. It felt nice on my skin but it was really hot so my skin got really dry afterwards. I tried to ask if there was a cold onsen but the lady at the hotel told me no.

The staff at the hotel was super nice. That:s one thing I love about being in small towns. When I was leaving this morning, there were no busses leaving for the train station at the time I wanted, so the lady at the front desk actually gave me a ride there. She was so super nice. The ride was 10 minutes long to the station.

Then after that I didn:t know exactly what I was going to do, so I rode the train down to Tokyo, since I have to come to Tokyo before I go to Mt Fuji or go north anyway (change trains).

It was around 4pm when I decided I was just going to spend the night in Tokyo tonight, so I checked into a hotel and I am going out for the evening in the Roppongi area, which is an entertainment district in this part of town.

So far in Tokyo, I haven:t had to use any Japanese so far. Almost everyone I:ve met speaks some amount of English, and most of the signs that I:ve used are in English as well. Navigation in this city as an English speaker is way easier than any other city I:ve across in Japan so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home