Saturday, December 13, 2008

Tipping is getting annoying

Being back in a country where I need to tip again is annoying me. It stresses me out because I never know how much I'm supposed to tip. It only makes it more difficult that I'm having to do it in another country with a different currency and a different culture.

I don't want to tip too much and I don't want to tip too little. I want to tip just right and I also want to know up front because I need to calculate that figure into a budget. The advice of "tip whatever you feel" never works on me because then I'll tip almost nothing every single time (yeah I'm a frugal bastard). Ideally I want to tip as little as possible without annoying anybody.

Usually I feel the price I paid for the service was enough to cover the service I received. In the states I would never tip the standard 15% in a restaurant if it was not already expected of me. Usually if I paid $40 for dinner then I feel like the dinner and service was covered by the $40. If they wanted tip then they should charge $46 so that I don't have to decide whether or not I want to tip. Then I can decide up front if I want to still have that meal if it costs $46. That would be ideal for me.

I seriously loved the no-tipping status quo in Asian countries. I had gotten so used to it that now that I'm back in the game it's even more annoying than ever.

1 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

just pretend you are Japanese, they never tip and restaurant people in the US hates them (frugal bastards)

December 16, 2008 at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home