Tuesday, February 10, 2009

America Del Sur

That is the name of the hostel I stayed at in Buenos Aires. There was something that didn't feel quite right at this place but a combination of not wanting to move and meeting cool people made me stay all 7 days I was in Buenos Aires.

The cons:
1. The air conditioner didn't work in my room. The staff had been told about it. They claim they had someone look at it, but it was never working again
2. The staff don't talk to eachother. Once their shift is over they're out of there. I'd you tell someone on the morning shift that you'd like something, they tell you they'll get back to you later and then if they're not working when "later" hits, your request is lost. It's like dealing with 3 hostel staff rotations while sleeping in only 1 bed.
3. The showers in each of the rooms didn't have enough angle on the floor, and so the water would lightly overflow to the room floor from underneath the door.
4. The hostel sponsored certain excursions, like a trip to Argentinian carnaval and a local football game. They also have a bbq every night for $13, which is not a cheap price in Buenos Aires. It sucked. I chose to do the football one. That ended being a complete ripoff. I paid $50 for a bus ride that took forever to get there and back and an admission ticket that actually costs $15. Basically, the hostel likes to rip off it's customers for commission and it was obvious. Today as I was leaving for El Calafate, they told me that I could call them in case I need to book anything. I almost laughed out loud.
5. The internet was not slow, but it would disconnect for 3 minutes every 10 minutes. People complained. They said they would fix it. Nothing changed during the time I was there.

Pros:
1. The free breakfast wasn't bad.
2. It was mostly clean. The maids were there every day to clean up.
3. There were air conditioners in the rooms. On the last night I moved to a new room because I couldn't take the heat anymore.
4. The hostel had a common area that promoted socialization among guests
5. The tv, dvd, and sound system were nice.
6. The dual elevators were very convenient.
7. Shower and bathroom in every room.
8. Good security at the front door and lockers in every room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home