Saturday, February 7, 2009

Dehumanizing moment

This morning I woke up with a painful charlie horse (cramp) on my left calf. Just like years ago in the day when I played water polo and I´d end up cramping in my sleep and wake up in pain, except this time it was due to drinking too much beer last night and then stretching too hard this morning when I woke up without drinking enough water.

There´s a guy who speaks only Spanish in my dorm room right now. He was in the room when it happened, sorting stuff in his bags. I was in so much pain I was hollering loudly and saying "Ah! Shit! Crap! Damn it! Ah! Ah! Oh! Oh!" but he never turned around to look or anything. Not even a glance or a smile or whatever. I know he doesn´t speak any english but isn´t there like an international SOS signal that you´re in pain or something like that?

He would make a terrible doctor! I don´t know if this is true but it makes me feel better to say it. haha

I felt weird afterwards, like he had purposely rejected me at my moment of need.

I want my mommy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

"I wasn´t sure what was going on but then I got closer and realized the guy on the ground having some kind of seizure. He might have been epileptic or maybe not. However, the main thing was that I didn´t feel like there was anything I could do about it so I just continued walking and got back to my hostel. On my way back to the hostel I started feeling a little bad because I hadn´t helped but I don´t think there was much of anything I could have done to help in that situation and it would have just depressed me to stand there watching it."

Sound familiar? :)

Sorry though, that sucks. Maybe you should have started cussing in espanol.

February 7, 2009 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Yeah, but at least I looked at the guy on the ground to see what the problem was and then consciously decided that I couldn´t do anything to help him. The guy in my room just kept on packing his bags like he was completely deaf. Maybe he´s completely deaf?

February 11, 2009 at 4:55 AM  
Blogger ben said...

haha, that was funny perhaps it's called karma? Perhaps you should try to fake a seizure and see if he does anything...or better yet, walk around naked and see if he notice, BTW I hate cramps in my sleep

February 13, 2009 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

I used to get cramps once a week or so when I played water polo. It was just a side effect from having to use my calves so much all the time.

February 15, 2009 at 4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home