Thursday, February 5, 2009

El Subte

Yesterday I stepped on the Subte (subway) in BA for the first time. It was quite an experience.

The station is a bit dirty, and the train is a bit dirty, and I´ve never seen so many tanned people on a subway car before in my life. The train was shaky but still comfortable enough to stand. It didn´t seem unsafe at all, just very low key and laid back, if subways can be described that way.

At one point, one man´s phone started ringing in his pocket. It was the distinctly loud ringtone of Super Mario Brothers. That was a hilarious moment for me. I was in the middle of looking around at the people in the car with me and wondering what they were all up to when I suddenly heard a video game theme. I loved it.

You know how I love looking down the train the long way and watch the cars next to mine bounce around as if on springs? Well the subway in BA is a bit scary when you try that. The other cars relatively bounce around a lot. It actually worried me a little after a while.

The subway in BA only costs 30 cents a ride. That´s really cheap as far as subways go. I don´t remember another one being so cheap before. Maybe in Beijing? I forgot what I paid there. The subway isn´t air conditioned nor is it super clean but 30 cents for an underground was (I thought) a pretty good price.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home