Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lonelyplanet

The Latin American Spanish phrasebook from Lonelyplanet that Yan let me use has been incredibly useful. I've learned so much from it. It's just nice to stick it in my left pocket and look up words as I walk around and see/hear them. That seems to be the most effective method for me, just-in-time learning.

Just like names, I seem to have a much better memory if I use what I've learned right away.

I'm getting good enough at travel Spanish that I noticed the book is lacking in explaining future and past tense. Everything I've seen so far in it is present tense, and so while talking about "need" subjects has been ok, I have a hard time socializing in some ways because I don't know how to use past tense verbs very well. So for example, I don't know how to say "I lived in Korea for 3 years before moving to the US."

So far I just get by with terrible grammar by saying (for example), "I live in Korea for 3 years. I live in US for 28 years." It's bad but I get through it.

I don't know how to say "went". So instead I say, "yesterday, I go to the store" And just hope that the other person understands me.

On a side note, the book has been through so much with me (aka gotten wet like 10 times), it doesn't look too good :) shhh don't tell Yan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo vivido en Corea hasta 3 anos y vivo en USA ahorita.

Yo iba a una tienda ayer.

I am not sure much but like above.
You have to learn some Spanish verb forms.
I think you can find a small book there or find some at internet.
Try

Enjoy your life in Lima.

April 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM  
Anonymous yan said...

hey, i heard it! And 10 times?! Do you have to take it everytime you go swimming with you just because you still can,t remember how to say "help" in spanish?

April 10, 2009 at 7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home