Tuesday, September 9, 2008

During my time in Koh Phangan

Things I did while I was vacationing on the beach at Cookie's:
1. Met a girl named Katja that was in Thailand on vacation. She lives in China but is from Germany.
2. Sat and went snorkeling on our beach in front of Cookie's (Ay Pilaleum)
3. Sunbathed and went snorkeling in Haad Salad (another beach up north) There's a real full out reef out there if you swim out far enough. It reminded me of when I snorkeled in Maui.
4. Sunbathed and went snorkeling in Haad Yao (another beach up north)
5. Had a BBQ seafood dinner in Haad Yao. It included sea bass, red snapper, white tuna, and mussels
6. Drank different combinations of fruit lassies. Lassies are those drinks I told you guys about that have yogurt in them. I know for sure I had pineapple and lemon, and mango, and mango and lemon (this last combo was wacky)
7. Had cold fresh coconut drinks right out of the coconut. We did some searching to find ones that were cold because it was *so* hot outside
8. Drank a couple bottles of Sangsom rum. This is the Thai rum that supossedly has a hallucinagetic in it, although I can't confirm.
9. Rented a motorbike from Cookie's to go to all of these locations around the island
10. Walked to Thong Sala (the pier town on Koh Phangan) that was about 1.5km away at midnight to look for a bar to go to. There was only one open, and it was called Jumanji
11. Sat a big rock at the edge of the ocean under the moon and watched the halo around the moon. The sky was super bright in the middle of the night because of the moon. Almost bright enough to drive.
12. Drove to Haad Rin (where the full moon party was) to get a massage for Katja. Her neck was hurting pretty seriously. We went to this Chakra Massage place which sounded really cheezy but this totally ripped guy came out and put everything in order for her. She felt good after that for the week. The massage cost her over $20 and she said it was more like acupressure. While she was doing that I got a regular Thai massage from a little Thai girl (I felt bad) and gave her a nice tip. During a Thai massage there's this maneuver they're supposed to do to crack your back. They get behind you and pull you over their knee, but this girl couldn't do it because I'm so big & heavy for her. I was a bit surprised because I'm not really bigger than most of the white guys are visiting Haad Rin.
13. Visited a Chinese Temple that was labeled "Chiness Temple" on our map, so the whole week we called it Chiness like the end of the word "fitness." This temple was nice to gander at while going by. We stopped inside just to walk around and relax. I donated some money like I do at every temple. I thought about my family some while I was there.
14. Visited Ao Chaloklum at the northern top of the island and decided we didn't want to stay there. The beach area didn't look very nice. We considered taking a taxi boat to bottle beach, but didn't. Bottle beach is a beach that you can really only get to by boat. Ao Chaloklum is where I boarded a boat for my diving day though.
15. Visited the beach at Koh Ma up north. It was ok, but a bit creepy the way they had planted very light blocking trees in a row along the beach. It felt a little bit too manmade. The restaurant there was creepy too. It took forever to get someone to take our order of lassies and the place was really quiet even though the tables were half full.
16. Met a couple from the Netherlands named Erik and Emma that I enjoyed drinking and talking with.
17. Had dinner at several random restaurants on the road along the west coast beaches.
18. Ate lots of Som Tum, which is a spicy papaya salad.
19. Visited Tesco Lotus to get the rum. Thailand apparently only allows sale of alcohol during certain times of the day, so we had to go several times to figure this out.
20. Went out to dinner and drinks with the Netherlands couple the night before they left Thailand
21. Katja made a Thai friend before I met her. Her name was Aomy. She invited us out to dinner at a completely Thai family restaurant where we tried all kinds of different food like frog soup and raw pig bbq. This was a great experience for me. I'm so glad I got to go see that. The DJ there was a singer and he let me sing a couple of karaoke songs on the stage because we were the only group there after a while.
22. Met a couple that was traveling together that had met at the full moon party, Estelle and Chris. They happen to be from the same hometown in England (Birmingham). They showed us a girly bar late in the evening that we thought was cute but slightly uncomfortable (and expensive) of course.
23. Missed my boat & bus ride to Krabi (west coast of Thailand) because I was up too late
24. Missed my boat & bus ride to Krabi a 2nd time because I came in too late in the evening to check out. The office staff was gone and they had my passport because I hadn't returned the motorbike. I had to get on the boat at 7am and the staff doesn't get up until 8am.
25. Went to Haad Rin for the last time to the Backpackers Information center to purchase my boat & bus ride to Bangkok
26. Rode on a swing on Haad Salad that was hanging off a coconut tree on top of the edge of the water.
27. Took a day trip to Ahn Thong Marine State Park.
28. Went to 7 eleven to get a few of Katja's favorite things.
29. Drank lots and lots of water and a significant amount of ice cream
30. Had my palm read
31. Had some awesome Thai Iced Coffee and Thai Iced Teas courtesy of Katja
32. Met a couple Korean girls (Seram and Seonwoo) that I spoke with in Korean

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 11, 2008 at 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home