Friday, October 17, 2008

Car Park Tetris

In Seoul, because space is so limited and car elevators are expensive, the parking lot in front of my grandmother's apartment is completely packed every night. And by completely packed, I mean that there's literally one lane of opening in the lot that you can drive through and out of.

The parking lot itself is designed similarly to western parking lots, so there are stalls where people park their cars normally all around the edges.

The "Korean" parking process starts after all the normal spots have been filled. What happens is people come in and doublepark their cars perpendicular to the ones already parked, and they leave the doors locked and the gear in neutral. That way, when someone needs to leave, they will push your car out of the way by rolling it a couple of meters and then pull their car out of the space and go.

This double parking thing happens basically in the entire lot. Almost every open space of asphalt is filled with double and triple parked cars, so sometimes if you're parked in a deep space, you'll have to push 3 to 4 cars around back and forth to get yourself out of there.

The main thing that you need to be careful about is that you don't get dirt and grime from the cars you're pushing all over your clothes when you're leaving to go somewhere. I already did that once. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

what if there's a downhill slope and you accidentally push it too hard?? I think that would be funny.

October 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I would like to see this. I think you should take a video one night and then watch it in fast forward the next morning.

October 20, 2008 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Well they just happen to have built the parking lots extremely flat, so there's no risk of this, as far as I've seen while I've been there.

And Erin, I can't take a video anymore sorry :( I'm in a new country now. I thought about this but thought it would be way too much hassle without a proper tripod

October 20, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home