Tuesday, October 14, 2008

ADIDAS makes great shoes

There was this white guy at dinner tonight in the restaurant that ordered BiBimBap (비빔밥) and for some reason he was creeped out by the egg that comes on top. If you've ever had that dish before you know what I'm talking about. It's always sunny side up and sitting on top of the rice with all the fixings.

Anyway, he's sitting with a Korean woman and when he sees the egg he says, "disgusting" and pulls the egg out with his spoon and puts it on another plate. He then asks her why he was served a raw egg. He was *not* served a raw egg. It was sunny side up. And while he's eating he keeps asking her what a raw egg is called in Korean and what it would have been called if it was cooked and repeats the word disgusting multiple times.

The first time he complained I felt sorry for him but then after a couple of times I felt like he was trying to belittle the food or something. I started getting pissed off. I think I was getting pissed off because I could understand what he was saying, because nobody else in the entire restaurant seemed to care, except for the lady that he was with.

After a while I started to think he was a jackass for complaining about the safest dish on a Korean menu, and then I slowly leaned toward wanting to kick his ass just so he would shut up.

By the end of my meal I had grand pictures in my head of sticking my foot so far up his ass he could spell ADIDAS with his tonsils but I think I was overreacting a little bit. :)

I do notice myself looking over at foreigners when they come into public places in Korea. I try not to but I keep doing it without thinking about it. It's a bit embarrassing. But you know, a Caucasian guy in a Korean restaurant in Seattle? Not so rare. But a Caucasian guy in a restaurant in eastern Korea is rarer.

p.s. I love it when my post title has nothing to do with the post itself. It's beautiful.

1 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

You should've told him to go to McDonald's and eat some big macs. I hate people like that too.

October 14, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home