Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Portuguese on signs

Seeing a whole bunch of signs written in both Chinese and in a non-English European language (Portuguese) was a bit funky when I first saw it. It's not a combination you think of as likely when you're sitting at home in good old US of A thinking the whole world uses English as its standard western method of communication.

I don't think I knew what Macau really was before I embarked on this trip and did some reading on China 2 months ago. How many americans on average do you think would say, "oh Macau? That's the old Portuguese colony turned China mainland next to Hong Kong." I'm willing to bet hardly any.

I bet at least half the american public doesn't even know that Hong Kong has a strong English background even.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home