Monday, February 2, 2009

Here little creepy crawly thing

I have to say that there was one thing I saw in Marrakech that was super cool though. It was the snake charmers in the square that were playing music and using hand gestures and body motions to dance with the snakes.

I'd never seen that before except on tv and wow, it was so cool to see it in person. I saw a couple of them doing it with cobras, and when I saw the snakes stand up high and flare out their cheeks, I'm sure I was wide eyed. It brought the little boy out of me. I couldn't not watch. It was so cool to see them banging the tambourines and drums in a way to get the snakes to move back and forward and from side to side. Those guys have serious balls. I wanted to watch for a long time but knew they would ask me more money if I stayed too long, so we kept moving.

I was unimpressed with the guys that brought the snakes over in their hands so that tourists could touch and hold them. It just seemed too cheesy, like something you'd see at a zoo, and it lowered the mystique of the whole show because you felt like the snakes were harmless. They shouldn't do that for the sake of the magic, but I guess they just want money so I guess I can't criticize.

From that area we also got a glimpse into how tough the competition is as well. There are probably 50 ladies selling henna tattoos at any given time and they all look the same. I'm not sure how one would decide whose services to choose. But we were watching a snake show and a lady came up to us to ask if Yan wanted a tattoo which distracted us for about 10 seconds. Immediately one of the men who are running the show came over and in Arabic seemed like he was telling the lady to get away because she's distracting customers from the snake show. She walked away with small verbal feedback like she was put off by his selfishness.

I totally didn't expect that. I don't think I've ever witnessed an artist telling another artist to get out of their space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home