Tuesday, February 3, 2009

2 things

1. I´ve noticed that I´m better at understanding spoken Spanish after I´ve had a couple of beers. I´m talking like 1 or 2 or 3. After that it goes downhill again.

2. I just walked back from a restaurant where I ate something for mid-afternoon. I was hungry after the plane flight but didn´t want to eat too much before the bbq at my hostel tonight. The bbq is at 8:30pm though so I´m not too concerned. On the way back I saw a guy helping another guy lie down on the floor. I wasn´t sure what was going on but then I got closer and realized the guy on the ground having some kind of seizure. He might have been epileptic or maybe not. However, the main thing was that I didn´t feel like there was anything I could do about it so I just continued walking and got back to my hostel. On my way back to the hostel I started feeling a little bad because I hadn´t helped but I don´t think there was much of anything I could have done to help in that situation and it would have just depressed me to stand there watching it. The guy that had helped him down yelled across the street to somebody who was holding a cellphone asking him to call an ambulance. I think that´s about all that could have been done at the time.

I don´t actually know how to treat somebody who is having a seizure other than to make sure they don´t choke on their tongue.

There have been several times where I´ve been in places where I didn´t speak a word of the language and saw a medical emergency but didn´t feel like I could do anything so I just kept on walking in case it was some kind of scam or setup where people were going to rob me while attention is diverted. That sounds kind of sad I know but it´s what I feel like I have to do to defend myself in some of these places.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home