Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Perito Moreno Glacier


Patagonia is known for it´s large glaciers. I visited the one nearby El Calafate a couple days ago. Perito Moreno was a man who is regarded as the protector of Patagonia. I´m not sure what he did exactly though.
This glacier was a day trip, almost 2 hours on bus each way. When I got there I took a boat ride on the lake in front of the ice. The boat didn´t get that close though because the ice is breaking constantly and so it´s a little bit dangerous for the boat.
This glacier was much bigger (wider) than Franz Joseph in NZ. Also the one in NZ doesn´t open into a lake, it just opens into a dried up riverbed. I loved the sound of the ice cracking a huge chunk of ice falling into the lake. It was very cool to see. It happened once every 20 minutes or so. I tried to get one in a picture but it just happened so fast I couldn´t quite get the camera in the right place at the right time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a really nice photo you have taken. I like it.

February 17, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home