Thursday, August 7, 2008

Train to Chiang Mai

I got to the train station a couple hours early and I'm now waiting for my train to pull in so that we can start boarding. It's 16:30 right now. The train boards at 18:30 for a 19:30 departure. I will be arriving in Chiang Mai at about 9:45 tomorrow.

Because it's a 14 hour ride I booked a 2nd class sleeper seat lower bunk in the air conditioned compartment. It cost about 881 thb or $25.

Nice thing about the train vs. airplane is that I get to see the train, see outside in the morning, and not have to pay for a night of hotel. Also the train is a little less than half price of the plane ride.

The 2nd class seats are in the open area facing eachother in the middle. It is not private cabins. Those are first class.

The seats fold down in the evening and become upper and lower bunks and that's where you sleep. You supposedly get some curtains for some privacy. I'll be sure to get some pictures.

I'm not sure what to expect in Chiang Mai. I know it will be more rural than Bangkok and less busy. I know that there's an elephant nature reserve there so I'm going to go see that. I think there's some hiking and kayaking as well.

I plan to stay at a place called Julie's Guesthouse. It was recommended to me by 2 girls I met in Sydney. I didn't book a room because I didn't see a way to do so online. I hope they have room for 1 tomorrow.

My goal is to finish up north in time to fly down to Koh Samui island around the 13th to visit Koh Samui, Koh Phanang, and Koh Tao. The full moon party is on the 16th and is supposed to be great fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

full moon party? I think I might have heard of that...will you be doing the Goblin's voice, "ppppprecious"!!!! haha

August 12, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home