Saturday, October 4, 2008

Nagoya happenings

Remember how I posted about that hostel a couple days ago that had severe rules in place (like junior high)? And then remember that post about "missing" stuff going on at home (real men don:t need feelings)?

Well ironically, I was writing that a nearby internet cafe and while I was writing those posts, a dutch girl sat down next to me on the computers and chatted me up, and then asked if I wanted to go out to dinner, so we walked out to a nearby beef bowl place (think Yoshinoya) and had some dinner, then got some beers and went back to our hostel to chat some more before we went to bed.

That:s right, I somehow randomly met a girl that night that was staying in the same hostel as me, and she was in the room next door. There:s only 1 hostel in Nagoya, but still. I found it rather surprising.

She was really fun and one of the few girls that I:ve met on this trip traveling on her own. I hung out with her the next night as well, after I got back from the Toyota Museum of Industry and Science (which was totally cool btw) The 2nd night, she had met a guy from Switzerland, so the 3 of us went out to look for a foreigner bar called Heaven:s Door (found in Lonelyplanet) but could not find it where it was supposed to be, so we ended up walking into an Irish bar and had a few drinks.

If you remember, the curfew was 11pm at that hostel, so at 10:35ish we started walking back but were a little late, so they were locked out. I say "they" because I had decided that morning to change to a hotel nearby, because I was unhappy with so many things with the hostel. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, that morning one of the hostel staff had walked in on me while I was still sleeping. What the hell right? And then after I came down I asked them if I could leave my bags with them in the office while I visited Toyota that day, and they said no. I was so shocked at that response I stared at the guy for like 10 seconds without saying anything. I think he was puzzled as to why I expected them to hold their bags. It was so weird. Never before have I ever been denied free storage from a hostel that I had stayed at. It was truly wacky.

Since I was staying at another hotel and mine had no curfew and my room was *huge* and had a private garden backyard (i:m bragging now), I waited for them to see if they could get into their rooms, and when they couldn:t, they came back outside to meet me. I was waiting on the curb.

Since there was no longer a reason to go in early, the 3 of us then headed to a Karaoke place to party it up. We sang for 2 hours or so. Man it was super fun. They have more English songs there than we do in Karaoke bars in the USA. It was unbelievable.

After that we stumbled back to my hotel and I let them crash in my room for the night. We sort of had to sneak in because in Japan you pay for rooms by the number of heads that are staying there, not necessarily by the size of the room. So if they found out that I had 2 friends there with me they would have asked me to pay more. Somehow they snuck out in the morning without getting caught. Either that or the staff just decided to be nice to me about it.

All in all, I:m really glad that Marlene (sp? I never got her contact info) broke into conversation while she was sitting next to me. I learned something from her, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home