Thursday, January 8, 2009

Amazing disappearing demon

In Barcelona, there's a main street called La Rambla which is considered the main public tourist area. The shops there close late and are expensive just like you'd expect a good tourist trap to be.

The other thing that this street has are people with specific talents putting on shows for donations. There are the normal musicians, gymnasts doing flips, people standing still in costumes (like statues) and people dancing like Michael Jackson. It's like good old 3rd street Santa Monica in some ways.

But another type of performance that La Rambla has are people sitting still in very large costumes that incorporate some sort of gadgets or other play articles like wheels and furniture. They have a coin purse on the ground in front and when you put money in the purse, the person performs some kind of physical motion using her/his props to provide some sort of incentive to keep donating money. Most of these acts have some eccentric costumes.

Well during one of the first days I was in Barcelona, I was walking through La Rambla in the evening and I noticed some people donating money into a purse but the performer was not moving. After waiting and wondering for 5 seconds, I could tell people were wondering why nothing was happening there.

At that point, my eye caught something to the right side. I looked and noticed that there was a man wearing a demon mask on his face and he was chatting on the public pay phone. On his body he was dressed like any other person. That's when I realized that this ground setup was actually that guys! He had left it temporarily to make a phone call.

I pointed at him and started chuckling. The people around me started laughing too. They had been donating money to someone who wasn't there but it was even funnier to know that demons need to use public pay phones too. I wish I could have taken a picture good enough to capture the moment but I knew I couldn't, so I didn't even try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home