Monday, March 2, 2009

A choice of 3 hostels

The selection of hostels in Manaus wasn't so hot either but I decided to just check out the best one on hostelworld anyway. Worst thing that could happen would be I just get up and move to a hotel nearby anyway.

This one is only ranked at 80% which is pretty low for the highest ranked hostel in a city. Usually I don't go below 88%. But so far it's ok. The bed seems ok. It has air conditioning and a fan in the room, and the floor seems clean. For $12 a night for a 8 person dorm it's going to work out. The staff doesn't speak any english again but I've learned to get around that using Spanish and some body language.

I only have 1 roommate tonight. He's like a 65 year old man traveling through Brazil alone. He's German, but lives in LA. He knows a little Portuguese. Very impressive. He showed me a place to get dinner where I tried a random Amazon river grilled fish that turned out to be amazing.

He told me the dollar jumped to 2.45 reals today, so thank you to Mr. Obama for making life a little easier for me. It was only 2.3 when I started Brazil 2 weeks ago. The fish turned out to be only $8 even though it was in the middle of the tourist area. It came with mashed potatoes, salad, and rice.

I've been bitten about 6 times by mosquitos already, but that's ok. For some reason my skin is very underreactive to mosquitos. I haven't started my malaria pills yet, but I will before I head into the jungle.

The humidity is pretty strong here. According to Daniella, it's supposed to be the worst, but today it was ok. About the same as in Salvador.

The guy in my room says he wants to take a bunch of the guys in the hostel to a beach up the river tomorrow to go swimming and get fish foer lunch at super cheap prices. I'm excited for that. I'm calling him "the guy in my room" because I forgot his name. :) I'll ask him again tomorrow for it.

I can't wait to fish for pirahna. :) I heard you can do that here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home