Thursday, July 17, 2008

Goodbye Magnetic Island

I'm waiting at the greyhound bus terminal for the next southbound bus to come and pick me up.

I'm headed to airlie beach today and after 1 night in a hostel named Magnum's, I am getting on a big sailboat tomorrow with 20 other people and cruising around the Whitsunday Islands for 2 days and 2 nights.

The Whitsundays are what people have talked about the most in Australia from the people that I've met traveling so far. I'm really looking forward to this part of my trip.

Magnetic Island felt like a small piece of paradise in the middle of Australia. Once I got on the island I felt like I was in a different country, somewhere like Fiji. Very unindustrialized and very homey looking area. Tons of brush and forest everywhere, including palm trees. There were very few people. The bars closed at 10pm. Lots of beach area.

Not many people told me about Magnetic Island when I asked them about Australia. I guess I can see why. It's not really a party spot and that's what most travelers are looking for. As for me, I'm so glad I stopped here. I basically did it on my own choice. Even the guy I booked greyhound with in cairns didn't think I should stop here.

I wish I had a couple more nights to spend here. I would definitely enjoy the peaceful surroundings. If I wasn't so tight on time in Australia I would stay longer. There's so much more to see, I have to keep moving.

2 Comments:

Blogger vovo said...

the cairnes/cape tribulation pictures are nice. the weird orange bugs are freaky. & did you start listening to 'australia' after i mentioned it in conversation?

July 18, 2008 at 12:06 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

No, I took that picture before we had that conversation. That's why I asked if you had looked at my pictures recently, because I had that picture uploaded.

July 18, 2008 at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home