Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Deleting pictures

Ready for a high school drama story?

While I was at my hostel in Buenos Aires, I met this girl that erased one of my pictures on my camera.

I had been hanging out with 3 girls that were a fun group. They were together on the day 2 of them were leaving and since I had my camera I asked them to take a picture together. I thought it would be a 2 second process. Drama ensued instead. I was surprised this happened because I had mutiple pictures of her in my camera and she never had a problem before. She also seemed like she was easygoing before. Maybe it was only because we were drinking?

I took a couple pictures. They wanted to see the pics, so I handed the camera over. The girl flipped through them and deleted one that I hadn't even seen yet. She also said something like, "oh my god, haha. That one isn't good. Don't put that one on facebook... I deleted that one just to make sure."

If you know me, I have serious attachments to my pictures and videos. (Wasn't it obvious? I'm asian!) I don't like anyone messing with my memories, because they can never be remade again the same way. This is why I have an online gallery and I've been uploading pictures as I travel, because I don't want to lose everything if I get robbed. It's not a painless process given the quality of internet cafes and internet connections I've come across but it's been worth it for me for security. I wasn't happy with the fact that she just erased a picture off my camera, but I kept going with the girls' cameras to get them their pictures and then went inside to go on about with my business.

She reminded me a little bit of someone I know in the Seattle area who has body image issues and is in denial.

While I didn't feel anger toward her, I wasn't going to let her look through my pictures anymore. I didn't want her to delete anything else where she felt she was under par and delete moments off my camera. The next day, she asked me to see the camera. I said no because I felt uncomfortable giving it to her. She got quite miffed about that, asking me if I don't trust her. I said "no", though I meant I don't trust her with my camera & pictures. She said she wouldn't delete any but I didn't believe her because I felt the feeling of instability in the air.

I found her question ironic, considering she had first erased a picture off my camera because she didn't trust me. Most normal people ask me if I mind erasing the picture. I almost always do if they *really* want me to. I can't remember a time I refused but I don't want to say "always" just in case I'm forgetting.

I felt bad though for hurting her feelings, so I went to the computer downstairs and backed up most of my newest pictures onto a USB drive before I went back to her and offered her my camera. I still didn't trust her with it. I wanted to make her feel better though. She declined, predictably. I decided to let it drop after that. We didn't really speak again :)

Not getting along with everyone I meet used to bother me in the past, but after traveling for so long and with my previous experiences in Seattle with the certain person I know and don't love, I know it's not me. I'm also not unreasonable for being protective of my pictures. Lots of other people feel the same way.

2 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

I think I know who this person from Seattle is. It's Dave! hahahaha

February 24, 2009 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

haha good thing dave doesn~t read my blog

March 4, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home