Monday, March 23, 2009

Foz do Iguaçu

Veronica and I arrived to Foz do Iguaçu around 1pm from the bus, so from there we headed straight to the park on the Brazilian side. It took a couple of city busses but we were there by 2pm, just enough time to put our bags in the public lockers and look around the park.

We had heard the Brazilian side had a lot less to do but was still worth seeing, so we didn~t expect to spend that much time there. Less than half a day was going to be ok even though ideally most people recommend half a day there.

We met an Israeli guy on the bus from Rio to Iguaçu named Alon and he came with us to the park. Alon is a good person too. He really enjoyed conversations on serious topics (politics, religion, military, defense, physics, engineering), which was good for chatting but tough to do with him during the day when all I wanted to do was stare at the waterfalls and the nature around us. We enjoyed a lot of laughs, which was great. Alon is looking to attend an American University for his undergrad. He just made it into UCLA (impressive) but since UCLA doesn~t have very good financial support for international students, he thinks he~s probably not going to attend.

One thing that we talked about together is at the top of my mind today. He mentioned to me that he had already served in the Israeli military (his duty) and in the beginning he really hated it, but told me that by the end he felt that military service would be beneficial for almost everybody. Of course to this, I responded with my standard, "not for me", and that started our next debate, which was intense and interesting at the same time. I guess what I remember is that I found it interesting that he had had a change of heart after coming out of the military.

The waterfalls were definitely beautiful. Comparing them to Niagara makes Niagara seem lame. The waterfalls in Iguazu are in the middle of nature. It~s not a big commercial tourist center like Niagara is. Niagara might have more gallons of water per second, though I~m not sure of this. The falls here in Iguazu are so much wider though. It~s really a line up of many waterfalls next to eachother, almost like a hanging gardens. That~s what I thought of when I first saw them.

By the way, I keep interchanging Iguazu and Iguaçu because the first is Spanish and the second is Portuguese.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lucas said...

Foz do Iguaçu is great man, I'm really happy you're having a great time.
Take care and have fun!

March 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home